E-M:/ more on toxics risk assesment

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

Julie Metty wrote:
>>I am writing my master's thesis on the deficiencies of the Toxic Release
>>Inventory, specifically the futility of reporting pounds of emissions
>>instead of risk.  I plan to show that the purpose for enacting EPCRA and
>>TRI was to inform citizens of the health risks in their community due to
>>industry, and that the TRI fails to meet this requirement because pounds
>>emitted does not equal risk.
>>
>>I was wondering if you had any literature on this topic.

There is a service available to communities in Michigan called "Technical
Outreach Services to Communities", or TOSC, that is intended to help fill
the gap between technical information like that provided by the TRI and
citizen action. The TOSC program, funded by a U.S. EPA grant, is housed in
the Great Lakes and MidAtlantic Center for Hazardous Substance Research.
The GLMAC comprises three leading research universities: University of
Michigan, Michigan State University, and Howard University. For more
information, contact Kirk Riley at 800-490-3890 or send e-mail to
tosc@egr.msu.edu

A group of citizens concerned about toxics contamination at two former
industrial sites on the Lake Superior shoreline in Marquette contacted TOSC
for assistance about our concerns about the level of contamination and
potential health risks at these sites. As I understand it, TOSC's role is
to provide technical assistance to understant the nature of the hazards and
potential risks. We are just getting started with the process, but so far
they have been very helpful.

If anyone from TOSC is on enviro-mich, they could chime in with more
detailed information. Otherwise, try the contacts above.

John Rebers
Central Upper Peninsula Group, Sierra Club
338 West Crescent Street
Marquette, MI  49855
906-227-1585 (office)
906-228-3617 (home)
906-227-1063(FAX)
e-mail address: jrebers@nmu.edu

This message brought to you with 100% recycled electrons. :-)