E-M:/ NAHB Takings Bill article

Enviro-Mich message from Julie Stoneman <juliemec@voyager.net>

Glenn Sugameli of the National Wildlife is circulating this article about
the failed National Association of Home Builders takings bill in Congress
this year and their financial contributions to legislators.  Given that
both the national and state association of home builders
are bankrolling the opposition for the comprehensive land use ballot
initiative in Washtenaw County, I thought Michigan readers might be
interested.

>FYI, an article about the unsuccessful NAHB federal takings bill.
>
>-Glenn Sugameli
>Senior Counsel
>National Wildlife Federation
>202-797-6865
>sugameli@nwf.org
>

>The published version of this article supported the next to last
>paragraph with a box listing 1995-96 and 1997-98 contributions from
>the NAHB PAC and those affiliated with it, to FLA Members of the U.S.
>House (from www.crp.org) and their votes on the NAHB takings bill.
>This version is from the Web:
>
>http://www.orlandoweekly.com/news/story.asp?id=1470
>
>Orlando Weekly
>
>How a bill becomes a law (almost)
>
>                     By Robert M. Kramer
>                     Published 10/1/98
>
>Everyone remembers it --the excruciatingly dull chapter in high-school
>government class that explained how a bill becomes a law.
>
>But if you didn't get it, don't despair. Events surrounding a recent
>piece of legislation suggest that some members of Congress may not
>have gotten it, either. For them, the process would seem to depend
>more on interest groups, lobbying and campaign contributions.
>
>The bill in question is S. 2271, more commonly known as the Property
>Rights Implementation Act of 1998. It was drafted in part by the
> National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), a federation of over
>800 builders' associations across the U.S. In the House, the bill
>found a
>sponsor in Elton Gallegly, a California congressman and former real
>estate developer, and was passed under the title H.R. 1534 before it
>finally was struck down in the Senate on July 13, coming up just eight
>votes short of the number needed to avoid filibuster.
>
>S. 2271 dealt with what are known as "takings," which refer to any
>actions by government that restrict the use of private property --for
>example, through environmental regulations or zoning codes. The Fifth
>Amendment of the Constitution has been interpreted to mean that if a
>taking occurs, the property owner must receive "just compensation."
>Under the current system, claimants who feel unjustly rewarded must
>first file suit at the state level. Only after that suit has reached
>an end can they advance their case to federal court. The main thrust
>of S. 2271
>would have paved an easier path to the federal courts for those who
>dispute local regulations or seek still greater compensation.
>Property-rights advocacy groups such as NAHB feel this would provide
>much-needed reform to a system that is unjustly expensive and
>time-consuming for developers.
>
>Glenn Sugameli, counsel for the National Wildlife Federation, has been
>fighting bills like S. 2271 for eight years. "There is no real
>evidence that
>that is a problem," he says, "and certainly not a problem requiring
>this
>sort of radical, draconian bill."

> [...]

Julie Stoneman
Director of Land Programs