Re: E-M:/ G. Marx and wetlands issue

Enviro-Mich message from "Ronald J. Riley" <rjriley@rjriley.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tracy Dobson <dobson@pilot.msu.edu>
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Date: Monday, October 26, 1998 9:14 AM
Subject: E-M:/ G. Marx and wetlands issue

>The DEQ could seek an injunction against a developper who was known to be
planning to violate the wetlalnds law.  One is not required to wait until
harm has occurred!

I mostly lurk on this list, to learn.  But this was so outlandish I am
sticking my oar in.  This is America, neither you or the state can not
legally persecute someone because you think they may break a law.

Your position is grossly unfair to DEQ staff.  You missed the point, as the
law stands the developer can build right up to the edge of the wetland and
not be breaking the law.  Seeking an injunction would use scarce resources
and could open the DEQ up to damages.

It is not reasonable to blame DEQ staff because the laws are not adequate to
protect the wetlands.  Furthermore, Engler has made it very difficult for
DEQ staff to do their jobs.  Again the solution is not to blame DEQ staff,
but to pony up the money and time to remove Engler.  You can not expect
people like Gary Marx to flush their careers and pensions down the drain
protecting resources when the citizens of the state put resources at risk by
electing those who are hostile to environmental issues.  And attacking DEQ
staff in this manner can only jade them more.  If you don't like what is
happening go after the upper management who are appointees.

I am a professional independent inventor.  Clinton appointed a patent
commissioner who is very hostile to inventors, someone who is a
multinational henchman.  He and his multinational allies were doing their
best to gut America's patent system.  Inventors formed an alliance and we
spent the last five years taking the commissioner's scalp.  He is out as of
the end of the year and his legislative agenda went down in flames.  I
diverted about $30,000 personally from filing patents to accomplish this.  I
lost at least $200,000 in direct income over the five years.  The patents
that didn't get filed likely will cost me millions over the next twenty
years.

The alliance of inventors, which includes over two dozen Nobel laureates and
over a dozen Hall of Fame inductees
http://www.alliance-dc.org/aainews/pat-art.html, spent several million last
year alone.  My point is if you do not like what is going on be ready to
back up your beliefs with money and time, lots of both.  If you are not
willing to do so then you have nothing to gripe about, and you sure as hell
do not have a right to cast stones at people like Gary Marx.

Even more important, the real problem is that the public is not willing to
pay to protect wetlands.  They are only interested in protecting wetlands as
long as it is at some else's expense.  Many self professed environmentalists
are guilty of this also.

The solution is to increase taxes on all citizens to allow the state to buy
more wetland areas and to remove all tax assessments on privately held
wetlands.  If the wetlands were given special tax status, contingent on good
management, many people would be willing to buy and preserve them.  As it
stands now local governments continue to increase assessment values on such
land, creating pressure to develop the land.

Ronald J. Riley (810) 655-8830
President, Professional Inventors Alliance
http://www.rjriley.com/pia
Advisory Board President,
Alliance for American Innovation, Inc., Wash, DC
http://www.Alliance-DC.org/
E-mail rjriley@Alliance-DC.org or rjriley@rjriley.com
Personal page: http://www.rjriley.com/about-rjriley/
Views expressed are my own.