Re: E-M:/ G. Marx and wetlands issue

Enviro-Mich message from "david zaber" <dzaber@gateway.net>

 I agree with Mike Boyce on this one.  It seems to be very illegal to plan
to burn down churches, plan to destroy government property or plan to
thwart environmental laws, among other things and I would think that the
DEQ has the capacity to prevent degradation of wetlands from developments.
However, given the DEQ's inability to enforce laws where the damage has
already occured, I suspect that we do not have a realistic prayer for the
agency to actually prevent environmental destruction.

As for the DEQ being held liable for enforcing the law or for preventing
substantial degradation of Michigan's natural resources, whether on public
or private land, that is a red-herring argument used ad nauseum by the
likes of Engler, Harding and company to justify inaction.  It is also used
by the browns to continue their efforts to funnel public resources,
including tax dollars, to private corporations that are essentially holding
the public hostage by threatening to undertake environmentally destructive
projects.  Remember, the Englerites (Englerwrongs?) did not only funnel tax
dollars to oil and gas companies that have turned the northern Lower P.
into a fragmented mess over the past decade, they hemorraged tens of
millions of dollars to an oil company so arrogant and indifferent to the
public good that they threatened to drill for oil in the Lower P's only
federal wilderness area, the Nordhouse Dunes, unless their buddy in the
governor's office paid them off.

While virtually all of the Engler Administration's natural resource
policies have had negative impacts on the environment, I must grudgingly
respect them for successfully bamboozling (sp?) Michiganders with what I
will call the "Robin Hood in Reverse" tactic of public policy.  And who
said that republicans are not sneaky?  Replacing property taxes with
increased sales taxes was a beginning (and as a former Michigan homeowner,
I benefitted personally by the switch), secret subsidies to polluters, land
speculators and other environmental outlaws continued the approach, and the
lastest environmental bond proposal is the latest Engler Taxdollar Switch
-a- Roo.  The modus operandi of the Engler types seems to be to first, make
the public feel guilty about the excesses of the state's corporate
polluters, agribusinesses, developers and last, but not least, government
and then foist the clean-up bill on the public.  Oh, don't forget to
minimize the immediate impacts to taxpayers by shifting the burden to
Michigan's future generations in the form long-term bonds. And the media
recently said that D.C. was the rat capital of the nation.....

David John Zaber
904 Glaizewood Court
Takoma Park, MD 20912
dzaber@gateway.net