Re: E-M:/ more than $3 million raised for proposal c

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

Jeff and others:

When Clean Water Action staff initially heard of the Governor's greenwashing
bond proposal during the State of the State address last January, we were
shocked, appauled, disgusted, etc. We had to make a choice on whether to
oppose the bond issue outright or fight for funding to make it something of
a true environmental proposal. The original proposal was essentially a
bailout for polluters through brownfields redevelopment, and Clean Water
Action argued that at least the name of the proposal should be changed to
clarify that it was an urban redevelopment package.

Some groups worked very hard to get significant additional
environmental/public health funding into the package. For example, our field
canvass was sent into targeted districts and conducted extensive letter
writing activities whereby more than 2,000 Clean Water Action supporters
took time to write their legislators asking for their support of dollars
earmarked for water quality improvements and other public health concerns.
In addition, the Sierra Club took the lead and Clean Water Action joined
them in airing radio ads in key districts in an effort to influence the
voting of these legislators.

I totally respect the opinions of those who oppose the bond proposal.
However, I hope we don't let the messengers...who are attempting to green
themselves (now and for the future -- like Abraham who is a totally lost
cause on the environment)...get in the way of making important decisions
about funding for environmental protection.

It is highly likely the proposal will be approved. We thought it would be
better to get the aforementioned funding attached to the package than to let
it fly without. In the final analysis, we decided to support the initiative
to help offset the tremendous shortfalls in funding for water quality
protection and for protecting kids and others who are being exposed to some
pretty nasty things in their homes, schools and neighborhoods.

Thanks for the posting.

Cyndi Roper
Michigan Director
Clean Water Action