Re: E-M:/ Reply to Murphy

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@biology.lsa.umich.edu>

Mr. Ambrose,

	You are quite correct about the presettlement state of aspen in
Michigan.  It was undoubtedly regenerated only in blowdowns and burned
areas, and was never present in the abundance or the large continuous
tracts in which it now occurs.  I always have to chuckle when I hear
people getting upset about the "loss of aspen"--this is roughly equivalent
to getting upset about a decline in dandelions.

	Just about the only reason for maintaining these artificially high
acreages of aspen is to maintain the artificially high populations of
white-tailed deer, a strategy that is now proving to have a number of
negative ecological impacts.

	--Barb Madsen