Re: E-M:/ Eric Sharp on Hunting Protests

Enviro-Mich message from "david zaber" <dzaber@gateway.net>

Dear Hostages of the Engler Administration,

Lets look at it another way.  Which is worse, folks who have no idea where
their food comes from or those who kill an animal in the woods to eat?
While I agree with the vegetarianism issue in large part, shooting a deer
or two for food seems not to be a terrible thing. Yet, manipulating the
woods to grow more deer under the auspices of "sound management" is simply
BS and should be labeled as such.

Further, one must also look at the vegetarian consumption issue.  Is it
worse to shoot a deer or two from local woods then it is, for example,  to
drink orange juice from Central America where the rainforests were
destroyed to create orange groves, the soils are poisoned by nasties like
methyl bromide, aldicarb and dibromochloropropane (DBCP) - (ask a sterile
banana worker from El Salvador what they think of that soil fumigant), and
the roads used to transport the product destroy natural habitats from
Lansing to Laredo (Oh, that's the new NAFTA Highway promoted by the likes
of Spencer "Lunch Again" Abraham and Carl "Look at my Shoes, I'm one of
You" Levin).  And what of the farmworkers in those nations who suffer
indescribable conditions to produce products for us, including the
vegetarians?

We must look at the entire circle of food production when we pick and
choose what we do or do not eat.  I am one to think that local is likely
better then distant when it comes to food.  But hold on a minute.  I am not
saying that eating industrial beef (your biggest source of dietary dioxin)
or chicken (second or third dioxin source for your convenience), or pork is
the way to go.  We raised rabbits for years on our farm and they are
efficient converters of plant materials to meat protein. However, for the
vegetarians who love grapes in January, strawberries in March and apples in
June, there is a cost to these items that is rarely if ever reflected in
their prices at the  Safeway/A&P/FreshFields in the neighborhood megamaul
on the side of the highway.

So, what do we do in these cases?  First, it may be that local deer hunting
is a good source of food for Michiganders and others, especially when it
augments a primarily vegetarian diet without pork/beef/chicken from the
cruelty factories popping up like cancers throughout the nation. Second,
the ongoing contamination of our freshwater resources by anthropogenic
pollutants continues to place a prime source of healthy fish protein out of
the reach of those who care about adequate brain activity or their health
(Hey Senator Abraham and Engler - how much fish DID you eat over the past
few decades?).  And the NAFTA scam must be exposed for the transfer of
vermin, disease, exotic species and wealth that it is.  That may go a long
way towards stopping the destructive global food web's growth.

A couple of other items to think about.

1.  What about domestic cats?  They eat a billion pounds of animal protein
a year, including lots of seafood. "Don't eat meat--Pet my Kitty" is a bit
of a problem in my mind. (oh, and the birds they kill too)

2.  The industrial deer farmers at the DNR must stop lying about what they
do and the impacts of those actions.  THAT MEANS YOU LL COOL J.  Deer Range
Improvement and other pseudoscientific "management" approaches should be
dumped along with the trash.

3.  Finally, what about local sources of organic and free range beef,
chicken, pork etc.  Bringing those back by stopping the subsidies of
massive food corporations (i.e. ConAgra, ADM) via highway construction,
NAFTA/GATT/MAI scams and direct marketing help from the feds (wasting your
tax dollars in more ways then one, each and every day).  I went to an
American Farmland Trust farmers market today in D.C. and it was well worth
it since it promotes local producers.  Hey, this may also help the four or
five family farmers left in the country too.

Now, back to my pork fed beef burger topped with bacon and smothered in
cheese.  (kidding, so don't blow your aortas).

p.s.  cheese and milk are higher on the trophic chain then meat since they
are lactational products.  Thus, vegetarians who eat cheese, milk and other
dairy products while eschewing meat on the basis of its input requirements
should look twice at their cheese sandwiches.

Best,

David John Zaber
dzaber@gateway.net

"I used to cry out of fear, now I cry out of knowledge"

----------
> From: Chris Anderlik <anderlik@traverse.com>
> To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
> Subject: E-M:/ Eric Sharp on Hunting Protests
> Date: Sunday, November 22, 1998 12:57 PM

> Enviro-Mich message from anderlik@traverse.com (Chris Anderlik)
>
> To the Editor: ( Detroit Free Press)
>         Poor Eric, his 2 columns/week aren't enough to spread his hunting
> propaganda!  Maybe he should move up to Traverse City where 2 days in a
row
> dead deer pictures in color were served up to us on the front page to
spoil
> our breakfast.  There's something morbid about that yearly ritual.
There's