Re: E-M:/ Eric Sharp on Hunting Protests

Enviro-Mich message from "Ann Frisch" <fan46@execpc.com>

David has made some good points.  But I think it suggests some joint
collaboration, rather than trying to determine which is worse: propagating
urban deer or drinking toxic orange juice.  We ought to join forces to halt
the insane corporate agenda that is pitting us against each other at the
expense of the environment and animals as well as people who are being
exploited in the production and consumption ends.

Ignoring some ideological differences, I would make the following points:

1.  Converting vegetables and grain into protein, whether rabbit, pork,
beef, fish, is not efficient and furthermore results in mountains of feces
and damage to the environment.  We can come together to eliminate the huge
hog farms that oppress the communities with their odor and environmental
pollution, the oppression to the animals and the ravaging of human bodies.

2.  The population of cats is indeed a problem for song birds, mice,
chipmunk and other animals.  We ought to be addressing the rack rape of cats
to provide  kittens for the pet stores of America.

3.  Fish and Canada Geese are a health hazard for consumers of the flesh.
Both consume toxic chemicals from lakes.  Geese feed at superfund and other
industrial sites and contain a variety of toxic chemicals.  The game
agencies have gone to great trouble to try to deny the hazard to people from
eating fish and are presently trying to deny the hazard to people eating
Canada Geese.  Fish are being propagated in open stream hatcheries with
their consequent damage to the waterways; Canada Geese are being propagated
using federal firearms taxes (which would otherwise go to general revenues
or used for fighting crime) to become living targets for hunters and revenue
bearers for the DNR .   Game agencies and their surrogate municipalities are
claiming that goose poop is a hazard.  Why then are game agencies trying to
increase the population in  proximity to our homes and parks?   It seems
patently irresponsible to assume that geese propagated in wildlife killing
"lure" fields do not fly to neighboring golf courses.   All environmental
manipulation to increase populations of waterfowl should stop, including the
huge grain fields planted to lure migratory birds for the killing seasons.

Rather than railing about the inconsistencies of people, including those who
would decry toxic chemicals in Central America, but consume  ecoli burger
and risk heart attack and diabetes as well as those who would eschew animal
flesh but enjoy the tasty fruit out of season laden with pesticides, we
should educate ourselves and others.

We need not reject the important role of commerce and products.  We can
insist that air and water be clean and that animals are not merely income
property.

Ann Frisch, Ph.D.
PO Box 8254 Oshkosh, WI 54903
(920) 235 2185 Voice