Re: E-M:/ Meat vs. Veggie

Enviro-Mich message from "david zaber" <dzaber@gateway.net>

A couple of items. First, controversy is ok and speaking only about what we
can agree upon may not bring all the issues to light that need to be
discussed. It's the difference between making tea and throwing the tea into
Boston harbor.....

That said, I totally disagree with the assumption that the "urbanized
masses" are the problem.  If you look at the representation in the U.S.
Congress, the urban folks often have the strongest pro environment records.
 The Congressional Black Caucus has the best environmental records of any
group in the U.S. House, hands down.  They are mostly urban folks, too.
The developers, corporate agriculture lobby, pesticide industry, asphalt
and concrete groups, auto industry and other similar groups are often at
odds with sound development policy.  Blaming the public for decisions made
in corporate boardrooms is a recipe for error (i.e. The American public did
not produce and distribute Dieldrin, a carcinogenic insecticide, Shell Oil
Co. did - their executives are at fault, not the public).  I have yet to
see the groundswell of demand for toxic chemicals like dieldrin and others.
Bottom line here is that most of  the public are for clean air, clean
water, and healthy wildlife populations, its the politicians who are
addicted to money that don't get it.

The most anti-environmental reps and senators are often from the most rural
areas.  For example; Helen Chenowith (R-Idaho), Barbara Cubin (R-Wyoming),
Don Young, Frank Murkowski, Ted Stevens (R's from Alaska), and the list
goes on.

David John Zaber
dzaber@gateway.net

> From: SWDulan@aol.com
> To: dsok1@ismi.net; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
> Subject: Re: E-M:/ Meat  vs. Veggie
> Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 10:41 AM

> Enviro-Mich message from SWDulan@aol.com

As a hunter, I am not the enemy.  We all want a healthy environment. Our
real