E-M:/ Prisons vs. Pigs?

Enviro-Mich:  More on livestock factories:

"Fearing prison problems, township denies hog farm project"

>From Grand Rapids Press 11/28/98 -- seems a twp is concerned that a 4,000 hog
confined animal feeding operation (CAFO) proposal 2.5 miles away would make it
stink too much for a 2,200 bed prison already in the twp.  Twp Supervisor Phil
McKinley in Bloomer Twp, Montcalm County, "recalled complaints several years
ago when another farmer was spreading hog manure on fields. 'The warden at the
time was afraid there might be a riot because of the foul odor,'Mckinley said.
'We don't want that situation to happen again.  The prison is downwind from
the site.'"

Comment from the Dept. of Corrections official (which did not actively oppose
the hog farm): "I'm sure The Grand Rapids Press would not want a pig farm
operating near it.  Well, it wouldn't be good for our staff either."

Evidently the operator has not yet decided whether to challenge the decision.

The Farm Bureau rep said: "'It's one of the wildest reasons for turning down a
farmer.'"

Anne Woiwode