E-M:/ Prisons vs. Pigs

Forwarded bounced message from Stuart Freeman.....

Subject: Re: E-M:/ Prisons vs. Pigs?
To: anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:13:29 -0500 (EST)
From: "Stewart Freeman" <freestew@pilot.msu.edu>
Cc: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

Hi Anne:
Interesting article.. Behind the humor, there is an interesting nugget of
science.  Bill Cooper has some great anecdotes that he tosses into his lecture
on the subject.  Consider that, on the average, exposure at a residential
college might be measured in years, while exposure at a school or factory might
be measured in an 8 hour block times 5 days a week, but a prisoner in a state
prison could be exposed for 24 hours a day, evry day, for a long period of
years.

--Stew Freeman

> Enviro-Mich message from anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
>

> Enviro-Mich:  More on livestock factories:
>
> "Fearing prison problems, township denies hog farm project"
>
> >From Grand Rapids Press 11/28/98 -- seems a twp is concerned that a 4,000 hog

> confined animal feeding operation (CAFO) proposal 2.5 miles away would make it

> stink too much for a 2,200 bed prison already in the twp.  Twp Supervisor Phil

> McKinley in Bloomer Twp, Montcalm County, "recalled complaints several years
> ago when another farmer was spreading hog manure on fields. 'The warden at the

> time was afraid there might be a riot because of the foul odor,'Mckinley said.

> 'We don't want that situation to happen again.  The prison is downwind from
> the site.'"
>
> Comment from the Dept. of Corrections official (which did not actively oppose
> the hog farm): "I'm sure The Grand Rapids Press would not want a pig farm
> operating near it.  Well, it wouldn't be good for our staff either."
>
> Evidently the operator has not yet decided whether to challenge the decision.
>
> The Farm Bureau rep said: "'It's one of the wildest reasons for turning down a

> farmer.'"
>
> Anne Woiwode

**

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

Write Congress to Stop Junk Email!!!   Details at  http://www.cauce.org