E-M:/ Exxon-Mobil Merger

Enviro-Mich message from KennethACasagrande@eaton.com

I apologize if this is off topic since it doesn't really concern Michigan
specifically, but I wanted to solicit some opinions from others concerning
the Exxon-Mobil merger.

I buy Mobil gas after a rudimentary investigation I performed led me to the
conclusion that they were "less evil" than other oil companies.  Exxon,
however, seemed more likely to be on what I consider to be the negative
side of issues and news stories.

Now with this merger, I am faced with the decision of continuing to
purchase Mobil gas and oil, or extending my boycott of Exxon to include
Mobil

I wish to hear how others justify their petroleum purchases while
concerning themselves with the overall goals of minimizing the global
environmental impact.

(For sake of argument, I do not wish to enter into the topics of
alternative fuels, electric vehicles, fuel cells, primitive lifestyles,
etc.  Consider the fact that I do the best I can with the cards I am dealt
and wish to continue a moderately convenient lifestyle.  I do not believe
that modern convenience and environmental goals are mutually exclusive.)

On a related subject.  Does anyone have information on parent companies and
subsidiaries of the oil companies?  For example, I try to completely avoid
anything associated with Shell and the Royal Dutch Group.  However, I am
not completely aware of what companies may be owned and operated by them
but do not possess the Shell brand name.

Thankx, and have a nice day.

Ken
casa@dtw.etn.com