Re: E-M:/ Plastic shopping bags

Enviro-Mich message from Michael Boyce <birder@voyager.net>

Jeff,

Mobil Oil Company developed a product and markets it under the name of "TREX" that
is a wonderful 100% recycled product used in place of wood for some projects.
TREX is made of saw-dust and plastic grocery shopping bags.  Basically, The
saw-dust is coated with melted bags and pressure formed into standard wood size
products (i.e. 2x4, 4x4, 1x6, etc.) and lengths.  Like everything, it has its
limitations.  Trex cannot be used for structural purposes and is quite heavy
(about twice the weight of treated lumber) and expensive (about twice the price of
treated lumber or the price of clear cedar).  It also has many advantages: it can
be cut, drilled, nailed, sanded, painted etc. in a similar fashion to wood; it
does not get slippery when wet; algae and mold will not grow on it; available in
either brown or gray it requires no painting; it should far out perform all
current wood and/or plastic materials on the market (guaranteed not to decay for
at least 50 years even in standing water - and Mobil "expects" it will not decay
in 500 years!); it is hardly effected by UV light or normal temperature extremes;
and, perhaps best of all, it helps to "close the loop" whenever it is used.

I have successfully used it for benches and bridge decking at Baker Sanctuary and
plan dozens of additional uses.  It is distributed exclusively by US Lumber in
Michigan (and maybe elsewhere).  I highly recommend it!

Additionally, the Binder Park Zoo, Battle Creek, Michigan, has done extensive
tests on Trex and other plastic and composite materials for use in outdoor
applications and has found Trex to be the material of choice.

I hope this helps to answer your question... seems like the public might put some
pressure on Mobil (perhaps suggest all the positive press it might generate) to
have their service stations collect plastic grocery shopping bags.

Michael Boyce
Baker Sanctuary Resident Manager
Michigan Audubon Society
birder@voyager.net