E-M:/ credit where credit is due

Enviro-Mich message from Dave Dempsey <davemec@voyager.net>

The recent exchange about who deserves credit for pressuring the DEQ into
protecting the Humbug Marsh and Island resource assumes either the
grassroots organizations or the statewide organizations can be the leaders,
but not both.  The point is that we work most effectively in tandem.  On
behalf of MEC, I'm grateful that MUCC worked to organize a letter from a
number of state and local organizations with strong arguments for
protecting the wetland complex and not breaking the conservation easement
the state holds.  I'm also grateful that the local groups called this issue
to our attention and are still fighting on the front lines to protect the
resource.  Maybe that's the bigger point -- this vital piece of land and
water is NOT saved yet.

Dave Dempsey
Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council