[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]

E-M:/ Humbug Dig

Enviro-Mich message from Julie Stoneman <juliemec@voyager.net>

Re:  Humbug Clearing
 I did an early stint in cultural resource
management--surveys for prehistoric/historic sites occur BEFORE any surface
activity is undertaken (like forest cutting and planting or tree removal
for road construction)to protect artifacts, subsurface structures, etc.
And who or what would require MinD to conduct an archaeological survey
anyway?  Are there any
federal permits pending?  Even if the state had permit authority for the
uplands, there's no environmental impact/assessment process in place to
require a cultural
resource survey.  Is the local government asking for it?
If MinD is seriously claiming they are doing an archaeological dig,
contact John Halsey, the
state archaeologist in the State Historic Preservation Office,
517-373-6353 to see what's up.

Julie Stoneman
Director of Land Programs
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette Dr., Suite 2A
Lansing, MI  48912
Ph:	517-487-9539
Fax:	517-487-9541
Email:	juliemec@voyager.net

ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at

Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"