Re: E-M:/ Crystal River--Homestead golf course

Enviro-Mich message from Julie Stoneman <juliemec@voyager.net>

With regards to Chris Anderlik's message on the Crystal
River litigation:  MEC, Tip of the Mitt Watershed
Council, and several of our member groups--East Michigan
Environmental Action Council, Michigan Land Use Institute,
West Michigan Environmental Action Council, League of
Women Voters of Michigan, Detroit Audubon, and Michigan
Natural Areas Council--are filing an amicus brief in support of Friends of
the Crystal River.

At 02:52 PM 12/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from anderlik@traverse.com (Chris Anderlik)
>
>        Just when we thought the Crystal  River was safe...we discover the
>battle is not yet complete.  On November 9th, 1998, the Michigan Supreme
>Court overturned their unanimous decision of March 31, 1998 which
>negated/vacated earlier State Court decisions and the Homestead resort's
>State Wetland Permit.  The March decision directed the Homestead to apply
>to the Army Corps for a permit if they wished to pursue construction of
>their proposed 18 hole golf course/housing development adjacent to the
>Crystal River.  The November reversal grants all parties (Friends of the
>Crystal River, Kuras Properties, and the State of MI) leave to appeal the
>March decision.  This extremely unusual occurrence means our case must now
>be again argued in the Supreme Court probably in late spring.  Naturally,
>this is a stunning decision with compelling ramifications for the Crystal
>River and ALL MICHIGAN WETLANDS.
>
>        After twelve excruciating years, we cannot allow the fight to be
>lost through inaction.  Being the dogged, grassroots organization we are,
>we are seeking support for our case from Michigan's environmental community
>as well as national environmental organizations.  In extreme peril are both
>the Crystal River and the MI Wetland Protection Act.  This is the first
>time the MI Supreme Court will rule on the WPA since it was enacted in
>1980.  We must successfully litigate this case if wetlands and the
>environment are to be protected in Michigan.  We cannot allow those who
>would trade immediate financial gain for the preservation of essential and
>irreplaceable resources to emerge victorious.  Attorney Jim Olson will
>again represent us; he needs support by amicus briefs filed by other
>environmental stake holders as well as funding from state and national
>environmental groups for what will undoubtedly be the most expensive and
>crucial battle in the long war.  We can use any help we can get, legal or
>financial.  Contact me or President Barb Weber at anderlik@traverse.com  or
>bgweber@ibm.net
>

>          It is important to understand that this litigation is totally
>separate from the Leelanau/ Nature Conservancy proposal to purchase 180
>acres of Crystal River environs and place it within the boundaries of the
>Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore for protection.  While this effort
>is not totally dead, it faces a perilous future.  The Nature Conservancy
>has withdrawn from the process, but the Leelanau Conservancy continues its
>attempt to negotiate with the Homestead and the National Park Service. The
>euphoria that greeted this proposal may have been premature, as the
>possibility of meeting the deadline of Decembers 31 grows increasingly
>remote.
>
>  THE CRYSTAL RIVER MUST BE SAVED and THE MI WETLAND PROTECTION ACT  MUST
>NOT REMAIN VULNERABLE TO UNCONTROLLED WETLAND DEVELOPMENT!
> [...]

Julie Stoneman
Director of Land Programs
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette Dr., Suite 2A