E-M:/ RE: MEPA Access -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "Fred Cowles" <COWLESF@state.mi.us>

PRIMA FACIE:  at first view, on its face.  Not requiring further support to establish existence, validity, credibility.
[example: Sid is caught with untaxed cigarettes.  In the state where he is caught, untaxed cigarettes are designated prima facie contraband and are immediately subject to forfeiture to the state.]

This is excerpted from Barron's Dictionary of Legal Terms.

Hope this helps.

Fred Cowles
cowlesf@state.mi.us

>>> "Todd Scott" <bikerboy@mich.com> 12/30 10:40 pm >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Todd Scott" <bikerboy@mich.com>

I want to thank everyone for the quick and thorough response
to my MEPA questions.  I FTP'd the full text from some
State site as suggested.  Now my question is does someone
have a sample "prima facie?"  I'd hate to start off on the
wrong foot with an incorrect or invalid document.

Heck, what does "prima facie" mean?

Thanks again.

Todd Scott