E-M:/ Crystal River--Homestead golf course

Enviro-Mich message from anderlik@traverse.com (Chris Anderlik)

Enviro-Mich message from anderlik@traverse.com (Chris Anderlik)

        Just when we thought the Crystal  River was safe...we discover the
battle is not yet complete.  On November 9th, 1998, the Michigan Supreme
Court overturned their unanimous decision of March 31, 1998 which
negated/vacated earlier State Court decisions and the Homestead resort's
State Wetland Permit.  The March decision directed the Homestead to apply
to the Army Corps for a permit if they wished to pursue construction of
their proposed 18 hole golf course/housing development adjacent to the
Crystal River.  The November reversal grants all parties (Friends of the
Crystal River, Kuras Properties, and the State of MI) leave to appeal the
March decision.  This extremely unusual occurrence means our case must now
be again argued in the Supreme Court probably in late spring.  Naturally,
this is a stunning decision with compelling ramifications for the Crystal
River and ALL MICHIGAN WETLANDS.

        After twelve excruciating years, we cannot allow the fight to be
lost through inaction.  Being the dogged, grassroots organization we are,
we are seeking support for our case from Michigan's environmental community
as well as national environmental organizations.  In extreme peril are both
the Crystal River and the MI Wetland Protection Act.  This is the first
time the MI Supreme Court will rule on the WPA since it was enacted in
1980.  We must successfully litigate this case if wetlands and the
environment are to be protected in Michigan.  We cannot allow those who
would trade immediate financial gain for the preservation of essential and
irreplaceable resources to emerge victorious.  Attorney Jim Olson will
again represent us; he needs support by amicus briefs filed by other
environmental stake holders as well as funding from state and national
environmental groups for what will undoubtedly be the most expensive and
crucial battle in the long war.  We can use any help we can get, legal or
financial.  Contact me or President Barb Weber at anderlik@traverse.com  or
bgweber@ibm.net

          It is important to understand that this litigation is totally
separate from the Leelanau/ Nature Conservancy proposal to purchase 180
acres of Crystal River environs and place it within the boundaries of the
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore for protection.  While this effort
is not totally dead, it faces a perilous future.  The Nature Conservancy
has withdrawn from the process, but the Leelanau Conservancy continues its
attempt to negotiate with the Homestead and the National Park Service. The
euphoria that greeted this proposal may have been premature, as the
possibility of meeting the deadline of Decembers 31 grows increasingly
remote.

  THE CRYSTAL RIVER MUST BE SAVED and THE MI WETLAND PROTECTION ACT  MUST
NOT REMAIN VULNERABLE TO UNCONTROLLED WETLAND DEVELOPMENT!
                        Chris Anderlik  FoCR  Secretary