E-M:/ "Meat Factories" article in SIERRA Magazine

Enviro-Mich folks:

The Jan-Feb 99 issue of SIERRA Magazine, the magazine of the Sierra Club, has
published an excellent article on "Meat Factories", discussing in depth what
is going on with the production of pork, beef, dairy and poultry in this
country.  This article is on the Sierra Club's web site, along with the Hog
Map, Sierra Club's interactive map that highlights some of the most
problematic issues associated with livestock factories around the country.
While Michigan's issues are smaller scale so far, the discussion is a graphic
reminder of where we might be headed because our laws regarding controls on
waste from animal factories are perhaps the weakest in the nation.

Check it out at:  http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/199901/cafo.html

Also on the Sierra Club web site right now is information about a report
produced on Cancer Pollution, linked to a site set up by Environmental Defense
Fund that allows you to pull up TRI data about toxic pollution in your state,
county, community and even your neighborhood.  The information includes maps
showing locations of facilities, linked to the information they have submitted
about their pollution levels.  Very interesting!!

Access this site through the Sierra Club's home page:
http://www.sierraclub.org