Re: E-M:/ Expansion of Marina on Lake St. Clair

At 02:02 PM 1/18/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Derek Stratelak <dstratelak@hrc-engr.com>
>
>Hi folks,
>
>Any one concerned about the proposed expansion of the Grosse Pointe Yacht
>Club/ Grosse Pointe Shores marina's on Lake St. Clair?  Local papers are
>full of comments about the project.  The plan will expand the existing
>facilities out into the lake in all directions, taking in more open waters
>for the privet use of the club and privet park.  If allowed, wouldn't this
>open a Pandora's box of sorts with all the other marinas on the lake?

To the best of my imperfect knowledge,
this kind of activity requires a state MDEQ permit for use
of Great Lakes bottomlands (unless this somehow
doesn't apply to Lake St. Clair) and a permit from
the Army Corp of Engineers relating to docks in navigable waters.
Files should exist
in both places if any applications have been made.

A letter to both agencies is in order asking for a hearing
on any such permits if folks are concerned about this.
The Army Corp has an office in Detroit and I think the
MDEQ Land and Water Division handles great lakes
bottomlands permits.

If I'm wrong about any of  this, Tracy Mehan -- the MDEQ Great Lakes
Czar -- who monitors this list will undoubtedly correct me.

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

Write Congress to Stop Junk Email!!!   Details at  http://www.cauce.org
http://www.julianhaight.com/spamcop.shtml     --- to easily report junk email