From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net]On Behalf Of twoiwode@tnc.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 8:45 AM
To: Tamilyn H. Sanderson
Cc: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: re: E-M:/ Milliken's accomplishments

Enviro-Mich message from twoiwode@tnc.org

Virtually every major piece of environmental protection legislation under
which we operate, and quite a number that have been significantly diluted in
recent years, were the product of the Milliken adminnistration.  A few
illlustrations include: Michigan Endangered Species Act, Michigan
Environmental Protection Act, Wetlands Act, Inland Lakes and Streams Act,
Shorelands Protection and Management Act, Sand Dune Protection Act, Natural
Resources Trust Fund (nee Michigan Land Trust Fund), Bottle Bill, Wilderness
and Natural Areas Act, Michigan Environmental Review Board, consolidation of
the Department of Conservation with Environmental Protection to create a
broader mandate for the Department of Natural Resources, Polluter Pay
provisions in environmental protection, creation of (an attempt at) a
statewide wetlands survey, and initial funding for the Michigan Natural
Features Inventory.  I know I've left many, many things out, and invite
others
to embellish the list; that very small list above dwarfs anything done by
both
administrations that have succeeded him.

Tom Woiwode
TNC
 "Tamilyn H. Sanderson" <sirdufus@freeway.net> Wrote:

| Forgive me for being a little young to remember, but can
| anyone give me some examples of enviro legislation that
| Milliken put thru or at least helped put thru?  I know the
| bottle deposit was his, but what else?  I have heard he
| was called our last environmental governor.  What is
| different between his approach & Engler or Blanchard's.
|
| Thanks for the info!
|
| Tamilyn H. Sanderson
| REP America
| Michigan Coordinator