Re: E-M:/ Milliken's accomplishments

At 07:32 PM 1/19/1999 -0500, you wrote:

I remember very well that Miliken was a prime supporter
of this initiative.   In fact, Milliken signed the very first
initiative petition at a news conference with MUCC and
the late Thomas L. Washington, former MUCC  Executive Director

The early policy in Michigan that hazardous waste liquids
not be disposed of in landfills ...first adopted, I believe,
in 1974, was an important Millken policy which didn't get
implemented in many other states until over a decade later.

The Air Pollution Control Commission was created during
Milliken's tenure.

The Department of Natural Resources was created during
Milliken's tenure, the functions of which were formerly spread
out in a number of areas of state government.

It was under Milliken's tenure that the Porcupine Mountains Park
was given wilderness status.

To the best of my knowledge, the beginnings of the recovery
of Great Lakes fisheries programs came about during
the Milliken Administration.

Perhaps one of the most important aspects of Bill Milliken
was his civility and leadership and abilities to listen....qualities lacking in
many politicians today.

>The bottle deposit was passed as a ballot initiative.  I don't recall
>what role Millliken had, if any, in that.
>
>"Tamilyn H. Sanderson" wrote:
>
>>  Forgive me for being a little young to remember, but can anyone give
>> me some examples of enviro legislation that Milliken put thru or at
>> least helped put thru?  I know the bottle deposit was his, but what
>> else?  I have heard he was called our last environmental governor.
>> What is different between his approach & Engler or Blanchard's. Thanks
>> for the info! Tamilyn H. Sanderson
>> REP America
>> Michigan Coordinator
>> GREEN District Captain
>> 1384 Maxwell Rd
>> Petoskey, MI  49770
>> 616-348-2685

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

Write Congress to Stop Junk Email!!!   Details at  http://www.cauce.org
http://www.julianhaight.com/spamcop.shtml     --- to easily report junk email