NUCLEAR WASTE STORAGE
PRAISED BY CONSUMERS
ENERGY

JACKSON, Mich., January 12, 1999

Moving the nation's nuclear waste to a single, Federal repository
has received new emphasis with the re-introduction of legislation
by U.S. Representative Fred Upton of Michigan in the new
session of Congress. The Nuclear Waste Policy Act (H.R. 45) is
similar to legislation introduced by Rep. Upton in 1998 which
passed the House of Representatives by a 307-120 margin, but
never came up for vote in the Senate.

Ten other members of the Michigan congressional delegation are
among the 47 co-sponsors of H.R. 45: Reps. James Barcia,
David Bonior, Dave Camp, Vernon Ehlers, Peter Hoekstra, Dale
Kildee, Joe Knollenberg, Nick Smith, Debbie Stabenow and
Bart Stupak. It is expected that companion legislation will be
introduced in the U.S. Senate early in 1999.

"We support this bill and Rep. Upton's tenacious efforts to ensure
that the Federal government live up to its past commitments on
nuclear waste. While the current spent nuclear fuel storage
systems at our Palisades and Big Rock Point facilities are doing
the job, there clearly is long-term advantage in moving spent
nuclear fuel off the shores of Lake Michigan and elsewhere in our
country to a single, Federal repository at the Yucca Mountain,
Nevada site," said Consumers Energy's Chairman, William T.
McCormick, Jr.

Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy
Corporation, is Michigan's largest utility providing natural gas and
electricity to more than six million of the state's nine and one-half
million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.

                              # # #