Re: E-M:/ Ford Rouge Steel Power Plant Blows Up

Enviro-Mich message from "RASHID BARKAJI" <ACCESS-COM@worldnet.att.net>

It was a bit frightening and quite sobering to walk outside and see clouds
of black smoke billowing out of the factory yesterday, half a dozen
helicopters hovering overhead.  Many person here (myself included) have
family members who work in the Rouge Complex, and were concerned with
finding out whether their loved ones were okay.  It was really frustrating
for the first hour or two trying to find anyone who could give us any
information, and let us know whether or not the community was in any
danger.

I called the Fired Department Headquarters and got "You should be safe
right were you are ma'am," but it wasn't clear how people in the community
would be notified if there were a need to evacuate.  Even though we were
just blocks from the factory and could see what was going on, our best
source of information was the radio. Upon hearing that the fire was out of
control and that there was still the possibility for additional explosions,
ACCESS closed our offices for the day.

As for releases that might be adversely affecting the community, I haven't
been able find out anything, although a worker from the plant was
interviewed on the radio yesterday who raised concerns about the lead paint
and asbestos that were inside the powerhouse.

Kathryn Savoie
Environmental Program Director
Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services
2651 Saulino Court, Dearborn MI 48120
313-842-7010 (phone), 313-842-5150 (fax)
e-mail: ACCESS-COM@worldnet.att.net