E-M:/ Persistent Bioaccumulative Toxicants -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "G. Tracy  Mehan" <MEHANG@state.mi.us>

In the 1980s, as I recall, EPA worked ten years on a proposal to ban asbestos which was promptly shot down by the courts under TSCA, I believe.  While pesticides have been cancelled, administratively, under FIFRA, the only other successful "ban" or phase out that I can recall was PCBs which was accomplished statutorily via an act of Congress.  Whatever you views are on the efficacy of bans, EPA was traumatized by the asbestos case and views the prospects of another such experience as, well, troubling.FYI.