E-M:/ Fwd: Sprawl & Racial Divisions

Enviro-Mich:  A study has just been released in Georgia about sprawl and the
effect on racial and social divisions.  If I am not mistaken the Detroit
Metropolitan area is the most segregated urban/suburban area in the nation, so
one wonders if these stats aren't even MORE compelling here.  Below is the
first paragraph from the press release about this report, and a web address to
find the report itself.  AW

>New Study Finds Urban Sprawl Heightens Racial Disparities
>
>ATLANTA, GEORGIA -- A new study from the Environmental Justice Resource
>Center at Clark Atlanta University examines the impact of urban sprawl on
>communities in the ten-county Atlanta metropolitan region. The report
>entitled, "Sprawl Atlanta: Social Equity Dimensions of Uneven Growth and
>Development," concludes that Atlanta is rapidly becoming the "sprawl
>capital" of the nation. "Sprawl-fueled growth is widening the gap between
>the region's 'haves' and 'have nots' and is pushing people further and
>further apart geographically, politically, economically, and racially,"
>said sociologist Robert Bullard, the principal author of the report. The
>study was funded by the Turner Foundation. Bullard and a team of social
>scientists, urban planners, educators, and environmentalists report that
>many government policies--including housing, land use, energy,
>transportation, environmental, and education--have actually aided and in
>some cases subsidized urban sprawl.

The report can be viewed at the following website:

>http://www.ejrc.cau.edu

Ross Vincent                    ross.vincent@sierraclub.org
        Chair, Environmental Quality Strategy Team
                        Sierra Club
           P.O. Box 4375   Pueblo, CO 81003-0375
         719-561-3117   719-561-1149 (daytime fax)

To get off the CONS-EQST-ALL list, send email to LISTSERV@LISTS.SIERRACLUB.ORG
Make the message text (not the Subject): SIGNOFF CONS-EQST-ALL