E-M:/ In the papers

Multiple items of interest in the newspapers today:

Two excellent editorials in the Detroit Free Press

'Special plates can help target funds' points out that MI is one of few states
remaining with no dedicated license plate for natural heritage or
environmental protection -- the editorial doesn't mention that several bills
are in the legislature and all over the map on this issue -- the weirdest my
be Rep. Larry DeVuyst's bill so you can buy license plates and have funds go
to pick up road killed deer -- think of the artwork on that one!

http://www.freep.com/voices/editorials/qeplate7.htm

'THINK GREEN: Build a better state with smart land-use policies' notes that
the gov. actually mentioned the concept in his state of the state, and
suggests he pleasantly surprise us this year by doing the right thing on this
issue.

http://www.freep.com/voices/editorials/qewish7.htm

In the Detroit News, a fascinating article about a private conference call by
an industry lobbying group trying to deep six EPA rules on air quality.  As
far as I can tell, this is NOT on their web site, despite being the top
story in the Business sectin.  An environmentalist in DC learned about the
call and legally accessed it, taking a virtual transcript of notes which he
then distributed far and wide.  The meeting participants talked about
leveraging Mayor Archer and Senator Levin to put pressure on EPA -- both
Archer and Levin indicated the coalition had never been in contact with either
of them.  The most interesting quote may be at the end: '"Look," said Russ
Harding, Michigan's chief environmental regulator and regular ally of business
in its fights with the EPA. "I'll swear on a stack of Bibles that we don't do
anything based on what the auto industry thinks."' Story is by David Mastio.

Anne Woiwode