Re: E-M:/ Clearcuts Redux

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from David Allen -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karen:

I agree with Dave Smethurst - not everyone thinks that clearcuts are always bad. While I do thing that they are grossly overused, I do recognize that they are still a legitimate logging operation (and here I also include shelterwood and seedtree cuts). Some species like to have their stand replacement disturbance regimes (such as Jack Pine), and unfortuneately the appropriate regime - a decent fire - is not likely to be approved. It is not that a clearcut adequately mimics a fire - it doesn't. Its that a wildfire is not likely to be allowed that makes the clearcut the viable option for a stand replacement event.

I, of course, would delight in hearing about viable alternatives.

And, as a nota bene to one of Mr. Dailey's missives - I believe Sierra Club policy is to support legislation ending commercial logging on National Forests. Untill that goal is reached, the SC does support responsible (and legal) commercial logging. The key is responsible - the forest ecosystem and its natural functions must be preserved.

Dave Allen