Fw: [Fwd: E-M:/ Detnews on religious/environmental connection]

Enviro-Mich message from "Delavan Sipes" <delavan@cybersol.com>

Though I would not normally bring religion into an environmental discussion,
because many people refuse to rationally discuss the possible combination,
it seems to me that Fr. Sirico does not comprehend that religion and
environment are not in conflict.  According to Genesis, King James version
of the Holy Bible, God created the environment in which the humans live
their carnate lives.

Furthermore, there is no admonition in the text of the Holy Bible (which in
whole or part, serves Jews, Christians, Muslims); no admonition in the
Koran, Book of Mormon, or other religious texts, or sects, to slash and
burn, fill wetlands, pollute water and land, destroy habitat and cause the
extinction of species.  It appears to me to be quite the contrary.  The
follow four quotes serve as a basis for my argument.

Holy Bible; King James Version.

    Genesis 1: 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our
likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the
fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every
creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    Genesis 1: 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God
created he him; male and female created he them.
    Genesis 1: 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful,
and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over
the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living
thing that moveth upon the earth.

The Living Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language:
    Dominion: Derived from Latin, dominium (lordship, ownership).
Definition: The power or right of governing, and controlling; sovereign
authority; rule; control;
    Fruitful:  Definition:  Bearing fruit abundantly; very fertile or
productive, productive of results; as, a fruitful journey; profitable.
    Subdue: derived from Latin, sub (under), and duco, (to lead).
Definition: To conquer and bring unto permanent subjection; to reduce under
dominion; to overpower by superior force; to vanquish; to overcome by
discipline; to tame; to prevail over by some mild or softening influence; to
gain complete sway over; to melt or soften, as the heart; to tone down or
make less intense.

Argument:
    In Verse 26 God suggests creating creatures in the image of gods, and
giving them
the ownership of earth, and the power of controlling all of its other
creatures.
     In Verse 27 the suggestion of creating creatures in the image of gods
is accomplished.
    In Verse 28 the human creatures are told
        "Be fruitful"  One may interpret this as productive, rather than
reproductive.
        "and multiply" A suggestion for the humans to increase their own
kind? Probably, but not inconsistent with the next statement.
        "and replenish the earth" This suggestion is certainly
environmental.
        "and subdue it" As you replenish the earth, tame it, control it,
make it fruitful and productive.  Work with nature, not against it.
        "and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of
the air, and over every living thing that moveth on the earth"  Control can
only be achieved by understanding nature and working with it.

    No one should hesitate to couple religion and environment.  We are a
part of the earthly environment, and for most of the billions of people in
the world religion is a part of their lives.  Does that not make religion a
part of the earthly environment?  Even those who profess not to have a
religion, that belief is also a part of the earthly environment.
    As with many beliefs, there are supporting arguments that may well make
those beliefs seem to be for or against environmental concerns. A belief
held in silence benefits no one.   An espoused belief has the power to make
others think.  We can ask no more of anyone than to think through a problem
long enough and hard enough to know the correct way to go to preserve and
enhance our earthly environment.

If you wish to comment:
Delavan Sipes
5660 Woodland