E-M:/ Nongame Matters

Hi Enviro-Mich List recipients --

A couple of comments about Nongame matters.

1.  There will be a meeting of the Heritage Program Citizen's Committee (formerly the Nongame Fish and Wildlife Advisory Committee) next Wednesday, 10 March, at Kellogg Center on the MSU Campus, beginning at 8:30 AM.  You are very welcome to attend the meeting.  Remember that Natural Resource Days are ongoing, on campus, that week.  The NRC will meet later in the day at Kellogg.  Many other activities are planned.

2.  Tax time for 1998 is coming, and I want to remind all of you and ask you to remind your colleagues that a donation to the Nongame Trust Fund and the Heritage Programs can be made directly on your Michigan tax return.  Just look for the loon and enter a number.  If you have someone prepare your taxes you have to make certain they know you want to make a donation, or it may be overlooked.  You can make a donation of any size, and do not have to have a refund coming to do so.

Michigan citizens should be proud.  Our contributions in Michigan have remained steady (even increased to a record for the 1997 tax year, over $700K).  Many other states have seen their contributions decline over last few years.  This says much about how Michigan's program viewed.  It is, indeed, a popular and successful program.

Please see a copy of comment I made about the program, in this forum, a couple of years ago -- below.

3.  SB 179 and SB 180 have been introduced by Senator McManus.  SB 180 would amend the Nongame Trust Fund Act (now a part of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, PA 57-1995) to provide a 7th requirement of the Act to "purchase and develop critical wildlife habitats."  SB 179 would amend the Motor Vehicle Code (PA 300-1949) to direct the Secretary of State to develop and offer "Critical Habitat" license plates.  Extra fees would be paid to have such a plate, income above expenses would go to the Trust Fund/Heritage Programs.  Both bills were introduced on 28 January, and referred to Senate Committees.  See the Legislature's website for updating info:  http://www.michiganlegislature.org

For those of you who know how long we have tried and hoped for a Heritage Program license plate, this may be a breakthrough.  Though the particular language regarding "critical habitats" is not our thinking and is not focused the way we would like, these bills may work fine and be supportable, anyway.  I will communicate more to you as more is learned.

The Heritage Program's website is:  http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/Wildlife/Heritage/default.htm

Here follow parts of the messages back and forth from 1997: