E-M:/ PawPaw River Dredging

Forwarded bounced message....

Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:05:11 -0500
From: "Molly Cole" <molly.cole@wmich.edu>
To: <Enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Subject: dredging on the Paw Paw
superior.great-lakes.net id OAA21536

Item Type:  Task
Start Date:  03/09/1999  (Tuesday)
Due:  03/09/1999  (Tuesday)

I just got an e-mail call for help from an environmental activist friend in
Washington State who is seeking advice about a dredging issue here in
Michigan. The message follows. Good one of you experienced Michigan activist
give him some advice? His e-mail is <JayLetto@aol.com>.

My brother lives in a rural farm area on the headwaters of the Pawpaw River,
west of Kazoo. He has been stunned by a dredging operation in the river (along
which he has a couple 100 yards of frontage - and is at a place in the river
where it is only a few feet wide and is known trout habitat).

The operators claim to have a permit from the DNR, and the DNR verified it
over the phone. But they are ripping all the vegetation out of the riparian
area and totally killing everything in there. I mean it sounds like 1800s
stuff, without any regard to fish and wildlife, let alone private property
rights.

Who can we contact to find out what is going on here? It would be great to
contact somebody from a local conservation or environment group who would go
out to inspect the site. Do you have any suggestions?

Please call asap - 509-493-4428 - many thanks - Jay

Thanks
Molly Cole

Program Coordinator
Environmental Studies
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
Phone: (616) 387-2716
<http://www.wmich.edu/science/docs/esp/esp.html>

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

Write Congress to Stop Junk Email!!!   Details at  http://www.cauce.org
http://spamcop.net       --- to easily report junk email