Re: E-M:/ April 1 DEQ meeting in lansing

At 12:43 PM 3/17/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@biology.lsa.umich.edu>
>
>A hearty "Amen!" to Murray Dailey's comments (below) on the use of
>wetlands as sewage-treatment and sediment-retention ponds.  Such uses of
>wetlands generally cause terrible degradation of the
>wetland--eutrophication, loss of species, etc.  Some DEQ agents even
>encourage this practice.  Kirtland Community College (near Roscommon)

Enough of words....

.....deeds, not words are needed.....

If folks want to do something about this, make your case publicly
on wetlands rulemaking.

Paying attention to the details of state administrative rules
is not glamorous activity, but you can be sure that the
exploiters are doing so....enviros need to "engage" with
the regulators on these contested issues...

Note this upcoming Wetlands rulemaking hearing....

Make the "complainer" to "worker" transition as a citizen activist
on these issues.....

...someone should analyze these rules in detail and post their
recommendations here.

APRIL 1, 1999
 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. and
 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

PUBLIC HEARINGS ON PROPOSED RULES RELATED TO PART 303,
WETLANDS PROTECTION, LANSING, MICHIGAN. (ORR 99-003) The Land
and Water Management Division will conduct public hearings at the
Holiday Inn South Convention Center, 6820 S. Cedar Street, Exit 104
off I-96, Lansing, Michigan. The hearings will be on proposed
amendments to administrative rules promulgated pursuant to Part
303, Wetlands Protection, Natural Resources and Environmental
Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended. Proposed amendments
include modification of R281.925 - Mitigation, to include mitigation
ratios and criteria; and a proposed new rule, Permit Application
Review Criteria, to clarify when a proposed activity is primarily
dependent upon being located in a wetland and what constitutes a
feasible and prudent alternative. Information Contact: Colleen
O'Keefe, Land and Water Management Division, 517-373-8813.

You should be able to get a copy of the proposed rules from this contact.

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)

Write Congress to Stop Junk Email!!!   Details at  http://www.cauce.org
http://spamcop.net       --- to easily report junk email