E-M:/ Heartwood Forest Council, Call for Co-sponsors!

Please pass widely:

               9th Annual Heartwood Forest Council
              Camp Greilick, Traverse City, Michigan
                         May 29-31, 1999

           BECOME A HEARTWOOD FOREST COUNCIL COSPONSOR!

COSPONSOR INFORMATION:
Group Name:
Individual/Contact:
Address:
Phone:                         Email:

INDIVIDUAL:                            ORGANIZATION
Basic $25       (   )                  Grassroots $25        (   )
Supporter $50   (   )                  Basic $50             (   )
Other___        (   )                  Statewide $100        (   )
                                       Region/National $200  (   )
                                       Other___              (   )

PLEASE RESPOND BY  *MARCH 23rd*  to be included on brochure.
 As a co-sponsor, you will become an automatic member of Heartwood!

___    I/We want to join Heartwood and receive member benefits
           at no extra cost.

___    I/We want to volunteer to help with the Forest Council.

___    I/We would like to help lead a workshop on:

AMOUNT ENCLOSED/SENT:  _________

Send checks to:
Heartwood, PO Box 1424, Bloomington, IN  47402.

The following is an announcement that can be used in your newsletter
to tell your members about the 1999 Forest Council gathering.

Questions?  Contact Karen Tuerk (608) 255-8187 or ktuerk@execpc.com

9th Annual Heartwood Forest Council
Camp Greilick, Traverse City, Michigan
May 29-31, 1999

Northwoods Wilderness Recovery will host the 9th Annual Heartwood Forest
Council gathering on Memorial Day weekend, May 29-31, 1999.  This event
will take place near Michigan’s beautiful Sleeping Bear Dunes National
Lakeshore at Camp Greilick, approximately 7 miles south of Traverse
City.

The Heartwood Forest Council is a gathering for all people concerned
about our forests, streams, and natural communities in the central
hardwoods region, which extends from Appalachia to the Ozarks and from
the Great Lakes to the Deep South.  People of all ages and level of
experience find opportunities at the Forest Council to learn the
information and skills that they need to defend their local forests and
strengthen the growing movement to protect and restore all our eastern
forests. It is also a great chance to meet new friends, eat great food,
and celebrate successful protection efforts of the past year.

The weekend will be filled with opportunities to participate in
workshops as well as meet and network with great activists from
throughout the eastern United States and beyond. We encourage local and
regional activists and organizations to bring issues facing their area
forests, watersheds and communities.

This year, we will be building on the profound successes the Heartwood
network has accomplished reducing industrial forestry pressures and
halting the logging of many national forests in the east.  Some topics
of discussion will be citizen forest monitoring, legislation to end
public lands logging, wood fiber waste and demand reduction strategy,
forest certification, and challenging industrial forestry (chip mills,
pulp & paper plants, export facilities).  We will look at forest issues
from a local, regional, and global perspective.  In addition, we will
hold skills workshops that will develop our effectiveness in working
with the media, lobbying, reaching out to “non-traditional” allies, and
coalition building within our communities. There will also be a group
field trip to the Sleeping Bear Dunes Lakeshore—a place of beauty and
healing.

Rustic indoor and outdoor overnight facilities are available at Camp
Greilick. Home cooked vegetarian meals and entertainment will be
provided (and created!).  Come prepared to dance, swim, and take part
in our traditional Heartwood Auction.

Registration is $30 for non-Heartwood members, $20 for members and $12
for students.  Food and indoor lodging will be at an additional but
affordable cost.  Camping is free. Work exchange will be available for
those on limited budgets.

To date, this event is being co-sponsored by Superior Wilderness Action
Network (SWAN), Defenders of the Great Lakes, Indiana Forest Alliance,
Green Onion Resource Center, and the Grassroots Environmental
Effectiveness Network (GREEN).

For more information or to co-sponsor, please contact:

Heartwood, c/o Karen Tuerk, 123 N. Franklin St., Madison, WI  53703,
(608) 255-8187, ktuerk@execpc.com

Northwoods Wilderness Recovery c/o
Murray Dailey, 43 Slater N, Lake Orion, MI 48362,
(248) 693-9589, murphwild1@aol.com

-- BEGIN included message

_
[...]

[        Heartwood Council & Staff Mailing List                         ]
[        Please contact gwolfram@indiana.edu with changes or questions	]

-- END included message