E-M:/ Ludington School Forest Is Saved!

Enviro-Mich message from "Laura Lyons" <laura_lyons@hotmail.com>

It's official: The Ludington School Board voted Monday night at their
montly mtg. to discontinue their application to the DNR to lift the
60-year-old deed restriction that limits use of the forest to
reforestation purposes.

I just want to thank those (many!) of you who helped me advocate for
this, through your ideas, suggestions, and supportive words.  I've
always been somewhat of a long-distance, armchair activist, writing
letters or making phone calls and such, so had no experience with
basically leading this kind of grassroots effort.  I literally
could/would not have done it without you.  Thanks again.

-Laura

P.S. This may surprise some of you, but the DNR folks were actually
quite helpful in this effort as well. Janet Griffen and Mindy Koch, in
particular, were readily available for our numerous phone calls and
questions, and actually gave us encouragement for pursuing this.  They
even had a letter drafted ready to go to the school board to encourage
them to drop the matter as the DNR had gotten so many requests from the
public to uphold the deed restriction.  Not that this qualifies the DNR
as a whole for ecological sainthood or anything, but I just wanted to
make a plug for the fact that they were on the environment's side this
time, from what I observed.