Re: E-M:/ Lands Legacy Initiative

Enviro-Mich message from "Tim Flynn" <tflynn@freeway.net>

It's nice to see some right wing support for funding public land purchases.

Yet the comments about private property "rights" is very disappointing.  It
seems to be the same old story, "my ownership of land give me absolute
rights, but no responsibilities to the community".  It is that community, by
its existence, structure, and dynamics, that make those rights valuable, and
therefore worth having.

The value of private land does not exist apart from the community (two and
four legged) that the parcel is located in.  Food, shelter, friends, markets
and communities are the whole part of any value the land has.  Requiring a
land owner to protect some "public" values in not a "taking" of land's
value, it is protecting that land's value.

There may be a short term loss in a landowners ability to exploit the
"development" of the land, but our grandchildren will inherit that
investment and be better off.

With rights come responsibilities.

Tim Flynn