Re: E-M:/ recycling

Enviro-Mich message from Jonathan P Kazmierski <jkazmier@umich.edu>

Rick -

My understanding of the situation is that there is a lack of viable
markets for the materials.  In addition, there are several other problems
that make recycling plastic bags extremely difficult/burdensome:
1. There are many different kinds of plastic bags and they are difficult
to sort
2. The bags are often heavily contaminated
3. The volume of material needed to send to be recycled is very high and
takes a long time to accumulate

What to do?  Charge customers for bags and promote reusable bags (give
them away).

Hope this helps,

Jon Kazmierski
City of Ann Arbor Solid Waste Department
(734) 994-3301