Re: E-M:/ RE: / S.B. 429 - A New Effort to Weaken Natural River Progra

At 02:38 PM 4/6/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>Can you imagine sand beaches, concrete pathways,
>exotic plant species, and gazebos on the banks of
>the Au Sable, Jordan, Pere Marquette, Huron, and the
>Betsie Rivers.  Well, it could all happen under a recently
>introduced senate bill.
>
>Senate Bill 429, which is sponsored by Senators Bullard, Stille,
>and Stein was recently introduced in the Natural Resource
>and Environment Committee.  If you would like more
>information on this Bill, contact Scott McEwen at Tip of the
>Mitt Watershed Council's Michigan River Network project.
>(616) 347-1181 or by e-mail smcewen@freeway.net

Dear Friends:

I want to remind all what is at stake here....the Inland Lakes
and Streams Act was passed in Michigan in the early
70's.   There was a massive citizen campaign for this
law.  If memory serves me correctly, it was quarterbacked
by the Huron River Watershed Council and many volunteers
attached to that group.

That we have an Inland Lakes and Streams Act (now part of
the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection codified
statutes) is what makes Michigan different from Ohio, Illinois
and Indiana with their exclusive agricultural/industry use philosophies
towards natural rivers and streams.

The current generation of enviros must realize that they stand
on the accomplishments of the last and that hard-won
victories must be protected and enhanced.   The way to
do this is not with a dillatante action....you're going to need
to do some homework.  Go to www.michiganlegislature.org
and download a copy of the proposed legislation.....take
time to understand yourself why this is bad legislation and
learn how to advocate as a leader against it.  Then take
leadership and action to start giving the opposition some advocacy.
As they say over at WMEAC....translating concern into action!!!

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)