Re: E-M:/ Nominee for BAD SCIENCE REPORTING

Enviro-Mich message from David Allen <dallen@nmu.edu>

Folks:

I think the original was in the NYTimes, about a week or two ago.  Written
by Wm Stevens, editor of the Science Times section of the NYT.  While
Stevens pointed out these "counter" examples, and did quote a source or so,
he also strongly stated that these so-called counter examples are quite
likely scenarios due to global warming.  Where Stevens kept us up in the
air was causation.  Is the primary cause man-made, or is it part of a
natural cycle.  And if it is part of a natural cycle, what sort of
auxiliary amplification is being caused by man-made sources.  It was not an
apologia for doing nothing, nor for "waiting until the science is in."  A
good article.  But one that I felt could be mis-interpretted by somebody
with perceptual blinders on.  So when I read Anne's message, I felt that
fear, being realized, again.