Re: E-M:/ Nominee for BAD SCIENCE REPORTING

Dave -- thanks for your response on this. I am hoping to track down the
original NY Times article and compare it to the Free Press one, but from what
you have explained here it sounds like the Free Press article may
represent exactly the kind of misinterpretation that is so troubling in this
arena.  One note, for some who contacted me individually: my comments are not
disputing what the scientific report discussed in the article says, but rather
the way the information is presented in the article.  Anne Woiwode

Folks:

I think the original was in the NYTimes, about a week or two ago.  Written
by Wm Stevens, editor of the Science Times section of the NYT.  While
Stevens pointed out these "counter" examples, and did quote a source or so,
he also strongly stated that these so-called counter examples are quite
likely scenarios due to global warming.  Where Stevens kept us up in the
air was causation.  Is the primary cause man-made, or is it part of a
natural cycle.  And if it is part of a natural cycle, what sort of
auxiliary amplification is being caused by man-made sources.  It was not an
apologia for doing nothing, nor for "waiting until the science is in."  A
good article.  But one that I felt could be mis-interpretted by somebody
with perceptual blinders on.  So when I read Anne's message, I felt that
fear, being realized, again.