E-M:/ Canadian geese in Michigan

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Cox <coxa@MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU>

The Canadian goose controversy really hits home in Michigan.  Overdeveloped
lakeshores, with mown lawns growing down to the water's edge, attract big
populations of Canadian geese.  Our ludicrous number of golf courses also
support and attract overpopulations of geese.  An uncomfortably high goose
population is almost always a symptom of human sprawl development and
foolish landscaping choices, not a lack of hunters.  Wouldn't it be nice if
Fish & Wildlife managers supported a "no  mow" Canada Goose control
initiative, or a natural lakeshore program to encourage Michigan communities
replace lakeside lawn with taller native vegetation?  I wonder if the
National Wildlife Federation could add such a program to their backyard
habitat programs?   I'd be interested in hearing from anyone familiar with
programs like this in Michigan.
Anne Cox