E-M:/ Re: Your recent report

ENVIRO-MICH:     I was trying to track down the report mentioned in
yesterday's article in the Detroit Free Press about global warming, and wanted
to share with you the message I received from Rich Tinker, of the Climate
Prediction Center, who was quoted in the article (below this message was my
note to Mr. Tinker):

Ms. Woiwode:

        The report you referred to is available at
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/trndtext.htm which serves as a gateway to (1) a
short write-up discussing the method used and the limitations to the products,
and (2) the actual graphics themselves, which consist of 12 pages of U.S.
regional temperature and precipitation trends for each 3-month period, 1 page of
U.S. regional annual temperature and precipitation trends, and 1 page of U.S.
nationally-averaged trends in bar-graph form for each 3-month period and for the
full year.

        I'm letting everyone who read the Detroit newspaper report know that it
was slightly misleading. It said the U.S. as a whole was 'cooling' over the last
one-third of a century. Technically this is correct, but the downward trend was
so small that it seems not to be statistically significant (which is to say,
within the expected range of error for these products). So the U.S. average
temperatures since the mid-1960's are better characterized as "essentially
unchanged"

        Feel free to contact me if you need more information.