Re: E-M:/ task force meeting on hazardous waste disposal wells

Last I heard, the State of Michigan walked away from all
regulation of deep well disposal and that it all reverted to
EPA Region 5.   The administrator at Region 5, last I
heard, was an EPA guy named Allen Mercer.

The two hot spots on Michigan deep well disposal in
recent years have been the Envotech  proposal near
Milan (or whatever they are calling themselves these days),
and a flareup with a deep well site at the former Detroit
Coke plant location.   MCATs and Brenda LiveOak's
operation should be notified about this hearing.

At 04:10 PM 4/22/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Dave Dempsey <davemec@voyager.net>
>
>Rep. Ray Basham's office asked me to post this on enviro-mich in order to
>provide interested citizens an opportunity to comment on the issue.
>

>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE				  CONTACT: Rep.Basham Tuesday, April 20,
>1999	                             PHONE: 517/373-0852
>					E-MAIL: basham@house.state.mi.us
>											Task Force on Commercial Hazardous Waste Disposal Wells to hold
>first
>public hearing
>
>LANSING --The Task Force on Commercial Hazardous Waste Disposal Wells,
>chaired by Representative Raymond Basham (D-Taylor), will hold its first
>public hearing on Monday, April 26 at 7 p.m. in the City Council
>Chambers of the Taylor City Hall.  Taylor City Hall is located at 23555
>Goddard Road, east of Telegraph Road.
>	"This hearing will give people from the community the opportunity to
>express their concerns about the potentially disastrous long-term
>environmental damage that deep injection wells can bring," said Rep.
>Basham.  "At every point in the process, from trucking the material in,
>to injecting it into the ground, there is potential for danger."
>	Basham's outer Wayne County legislative district includes the proposed
>site of a commercial deep-injection well for hazardous waste in the City
>of Romulus.  Basham has been at the forefront of the movement to stop
>the well from being established.
>	Other members of the task force include State Representatives Eileen
>DeHart (D-Westland), Thomas Kelly (D-Wayne), George Mans (D-Trenton),
>William O'Neil (D-Allen Park), Gloria Schermesser (D-Lincoln Park), and
>Samuel Buzz Thomas (D-Detroit).
>   			 ###
>

>Dave Dempsey
>Policy Director
>Michigan Environmental Council
>119 Pere Marquette, Suite 2A
>Lansing, MI 48912
>davemec@voyager.net
>http://www.mienv.org

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)