Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:30:36 -0400
From: "Harold Fitch" <FITCHH@state.mi.us>
To: ajs@sagady.com
Cc: davemec@voyager.net
Subject: Regualtion of deep disposal wells
id SAA26854

Dear Mr. Sagady:

I just read your Enviro-Mich message on the upcoming task force meeting on
hazardous waste disposal wells.

Contrary to your message, the State of Michigan has not "walked away from
all regulation of deep well disposal."  In actuality, the DEQ has stepped up
our regulation of these wells significantly.  Due largely to efforts of the
DEQ, 1998 PA 467 was enacted in December 1998.  This statute provides for
increased well permit fees and an annual operating fee to provide additional
funding for the regulation of disposal wells, test wells, and other
categories of mineral wells.

Under 1998 PA 467, owners of wells for disposal of wastes other than
processed brine are now assessed an annual fee of $2500 per well to pay for
inspection and enforcement.  Owners of other mineral wells are assessed
permit fees and annual operating fees ranging from $75 to $500 based on the
degree of surveillance required according to the type of well.  The Michigan
Environmental Council participated in a work group that helped establish
appropriate fees.  The DEQ is in the process of adding staff to increase our
regulatory oversight of mineral wells.

USEPA continues to regulate disposal wells under their separate authority.

Please feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Sincerely,
Harold R. Fitch
Supervisor of Mineral Wells and Chief,
    Geological Survey Division
Department of Environmental Quality.

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)