E-M:/ bill to ban directional drilling under Great Lakes introduced

the Senate's Economic Development Committee, chaired by Sen. Bill Schuette.
Schuette has introduced his own bill, S.B. 28, which bans directional
drilling within 1,500 feet of the Great Lakes shoreline for the next 10 years.

"It is simply not worth the risk of the contamination we've seen in places
like Prince William's Sound, which they are still trying to clean up from
the Exxon Valdez spill," said Peters.  "The Great Lakes are simply too
important to our survival and our tourism economy to allow directional
drilling."

Dave Dempsey
Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council