E-M:/ Tax exempt Status?

Help!
Does anyone on Enviro-Mich know whether ANY or ALL federally tax exempt conservancies that own properties in Michigan are taxed by the State of Michigan.

The Woodland Nature Conservancy (a not-for-profit organization) has a property held under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code and thereby has a federal tax exempt status.  It has a public foundation status.

Our local township has chosen to challenge that status and has been taxing the property held by the foundation.  It has been brought to the Tax Tribunal with a hearing date next week.  Does anyone know whether there is a basis on which the township can build a case for taxation?  Conversely, is there some precedent for organizations similar to the Woodland Nature Conservancy to be granted tax exempt status in Michigan?

In advance, I wish to thank anyone who may be of help.  Thank You.

Del Sipes