Re: E-M:/ Michigan environews

Enviro-Mich message from "Pradeep Srivastava" <srivasta@dwsd.org>

This may be a radical idea, but would'nt we save an enormous amount of fresh water
if we did not have any lawn to water? I would suspect that the majority of the
water either ends up in the grass or seaps into the ground. Either way, it is not
there to be reused, unlike the water used in the bathrooms and kitchens, which
ultimately ends up in the waterbody where it came from, albeit through a long,
circuitous route. I am curious if anybody has done any mass balance on the water
used for watering the lawn. Also, what are the implications of using a fake lawn,
such as Astroturf to eliminate the lawn-watering activities? I do not think lawns
serve any useful purpose , except that they look good and are revered like Mom and
Apple Pie..
This is my own personal opinion and not that of my employer, who is in the
business of selling water.
I am open to any comments anybody may have on this issue.