E-M:/ RE: / Meridian Twp.: Serving as a Bad Example Again

SNIP
Just curious, but what is your solution to the problem of the many units of
local government we have in the state?  Put us all under leadership of one unit?

Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator

Bonnie:

There are many who can do a much better job of explaining how regionalizing
our planning and zoning efforts could be done. In the simplest sense it is
critical for our communities, which are already economically and socially
interdependent, to be tied together in our land use and planning activities.
We, meaning everyone except the specific developer of the moment, cannot win
if all it takes for them to get their way is to threaten to bolt to a
neighboring community, or threaten to sue, or bully local community activists
out of expressing their legitimate concerns.

In East Lansing, Mark Meadows and the East Lansing City Council have a golden
opportunity to turn this mess into a positive situation -- they can look
beyond supposed pot of gold in taxes (which has been shown time and time again
not to really address the full costs to a community of new development) to
what this means to the REAL community here.  That community is the seamless
reality we live in -- the same people work in Lansing, live in East Lansing,
shop in Meridian Township, recreate in Holt and go to church in Williamston --
yet our political community fails to account for that.

East Lansing could take advantage of this and leverage some enforcable
commitments out of the developers of the Governor's Club that would help
address the legitimate concerns of the neighbors, who will be neighbors
regardless of jurisdiction.  Wouldn't it be spectacular if East Lansing did
what Meridian Township had failed to do -- listened to the people who will be
directly effected by this development, and guarantee that their concerns were
met.  Just because the Governor's Club is going to seek annexation to East
Lansing doesn't mean that they would automatically get everything they asked
for.

Seems like, as well, that MSU could take a role instead of remaining
"neutral".  After all, as a university with a tremendous agricultural and
natural resource base, there are many people at MSU STUDYING this very issue
who could assure that what is done here does not wreak havoc on reasonable
planning and zoning efforts.  Does MSU want to sit by passively and simply let
development occur around them with no input or opinion whatsoever, or will
this university actually turn its experts loose to help secure the best plan
and best outcome.  After all, MSU experts are always ready to give advice to
other communities and businesses -- don't they have at least as great an
obligation here in their own back 40 to give sound advice?

Those are a couple of thoughts.

Anne Woiwode