Re: E-M:/ RE: / RE: / Meridian Twp.: Serving as a Bad Example Again

Bonnie: Your response to Anne Woiwode, "I think you do many of us a
disservice when you say we are uneducated on land use issues", should be
directed at me, Murray Dailey. Anne Woiwode's posts or comments did not make
this assumption or insinuation-as far as i have read. I think Anne's points
were succinct and consise.

Also, "the private property owner rights" is a euphemism co-opted for evoking
 a developer's right to make big bucks at the expense of the public trust and
doctrine and greater well being of the community.

DEQ knows full well that they can prosecute and harass the little guy to make
"a point of enforcement", while letting the big guy (developers and
deforestation corporations) run ramshod over laws and public
trust-clearcutting vast areas and destroying wetlands with impunity.

Many developers never fully own land they plan on destroying until they make
it through rezoning, plat approvals, planning commission, and local
government engineering sign-offs. It is only then that the "official land
title transfer occurs". All you have to do is find out who is paying the
taxes.

Every single township or village planning commission in this state has a
docket (developers in line like vultures) backed up with developers DEMANDING
approval to run ramshod over every law on the books, knowing full well that
the DEQ is eventually going to rubber stamp everything they ask for-even if
the DEQ makes vague and lame attempts to show that they give a darn. In the
end, everything is approved.

What do you know of the Michigan Environmental Protection Act? The endangered
Species Act? The Clean Water Act? the Goemere Anderson Act? Do you (or the
majority of local government officials) have these laws in front of you when
making each and every decision? The answer is no. You refer and place the
burden of everything on your attorneys. They of course tell you to settle or
approve or it is gonna cost BIG BUCKS to defend against lawsuits  by the
developer for their "property rights".

If more people like you and your local government took a stand based on this
law, (take political and economic risk), or spent the money on attorneys to
PROTECT AND ENFORCE LAWS, then maybe these vultures would think twice about
exerting intimidation.

You speak of a balance?

Murray Dailey