E-M:/ road kill license plate OK'd

Enviro-Mich message from Dave Dempsey <davemec@voyager.net>

The House Conservation Committee today approved a two-bill package that
would create a whitetail deer license plate, with revenues earmarked for
cleanup of road kill along state and local roads.

MEC testified against the bills.  We support the outlines of a plan
announced Tuesday by Secretary of State Candace Miller to cap the number of
speciality license plates, with legislation to create a nongame wildlife
plate and a clean water plate among them.  (But we want money from the
clean water plate earmarked for community efforts, not wasted on DEQ
programs.)

Additional plates, even for purposes purportedly related to the outdoors
such as road kill, will dilute the amount of money each plate will raise. A
county road association representative testified that it costs $6-$8
million per year to remove road kill from highways -- and the most any
speciality plate has ever been estimated to raise in Michigan is $2-$3
million a year.  Divide that by six (or more) and you get the amount each
would raise.

Persons who want to see plates for nongame and clean water raise meaningful
money should immediately let their Representatives know they oppose the
road kill bills, H.B. 4081 (sponsored by Rep. Larry DeVuyst) and H.B. 4630
(sponsored by Rep. Vera Rison).

Dave Dempsey
Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council