E-M:/ deer license plates

Enviro-Mich message from revans@up.net (Robert Evans)

As a biologist working in the U.P., I wanted to make sure Enviro-Mich folks
were aware that removing vehicle-killed deer from roadsides is more than
just a joking matter.  I am personally aware of at least 25 bald eagles that
have been hit and killed by vehicles while feeding on vehicle-killed deer
along just one small area of US-2 and US-45 in the Western U.P. within the
last 4 years alone. Many more eagles were injured by vehicles during this
same period.  My agency and others have worked for several years now to try
to come up with a solution to the problem, but the bottom line is that it
will take funds to pay for prompt removal of these carcasses.

I am not taking a position one way or the other on the deer license plate
issue, but I wanted to make sure folks knew that there is a need out there
to do this work, and it does affect other species, such as bald eagles.

Robert Evans